Saturday, September 11, 2010

"Tactical Chopper" Pictorial

Here is the "Tactical Chopper", this is my first completed knife. I will show what it look like along the way.

1. This was a piece of mild steel I found in my garage. I did not take a picture of the blank billet, I have a picture of what it looked like after hammering out the initial shape: 















After forging out the initial shape and doing a little bit of filing I then traced the outline of the blade onto a piece of paper to get a actual size drawing of the blade. The reason for doing so, is so that I can draw out what I want the finished product to look like. The sketch above the actual piece is what I am trying to get the actual blade to look like.


 After that, is the fun part. Filing and sanding! Draw filing for hours, till I get the bevels prominent. After that is sanding, start at a 120 grit working my way to 800. I did not want a mirror finish on the product, plus the piece of steel I started with was thin. So I didnt want to take much more steel off of the surface. 














































Here is the finished knife, I wrapped the tang in digi camo paracord. I am pretty impressed with the outcome, this being my very first completed knife. 






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments on what you think of the pieces or any tips you might have for me. Any comment is appreciated. Thanks!